Built in 1888, the Buell Building was home to Lakota Banking & Investment Co. Attorney Charles Buell bought it in 1901, renamed it established his law firm on the second floor. For a time, the building was home to the National Weather Bureau. (A weather flag on the roof told residents the forecast.)
The distinctive Russo-Byzantine dome, built by local craftsman from a copper-covered wooden mould, made this building a downtown landmark. Originally this was a much smaller building -- three more sections were added along Seventh Street by 1925.