St. Joseph Street Scene
This scene from the 1920s or '30s shows St. Joseph Street looking east from Eighth Street (now Mount Rushmore Road). Three of the city's most prominent buildings -- the Alex Johnson, the Buell Building and the Federal Building -- can be seen. The Federal Building, now private offices, was built in 1911. Stone for this building was quarried near Hot Springs. Its architect, James Knox Taylor, designed a number of federal buildings in South Dakota, including the post offices in Mitchell, Watertown and Yankton. He believed this style of architecture would foster ready recognition of federal buildings.