Clower Block

Clower Block

606 Main Street

The 1886 Clower building, also known as the Morris Block, represents the finest example of high-style Italianate in Rapid City. "Big Jack" Clower's Saloon, one of the most notorious drinking establishments in town, originally occupied the first floor. There were many a report of a young cowboy bellying up to Clower's bar to celebrate payday, only to wake up the next morning out in the alley -- and penniless.

This picture shows the building in a time when horses and bicycles were Rapid City's modes of transportation. We're not sure who Tom Smith was, or why someone wrote his name in the photo.

Now home to Prairie Edge Trading Co., this building was elaborately restored in the early 1990s. The big storefront windows, the metal cornice work, cast-iron columns and other historic details were either refurbished or accurately recreated.

Get In Touch With Us
Contact the Rapid City Community Development Department to reach the City staff Liaison to the HPC. 605.394.4120